Latest News
Sunday 7 August 2016

Rio Olympics: Phelps wins record 19th Olympic swimming gold

Rio Olympics: Phelps wins record 19th Olympic swimming gold
#

Michael Phelps won a record nineteenth Olympic gold decoration as the United States secured the men's 4x100m free-form transfer title in Rio.

The 31-year-old came to Brazil as the most finished Olympian in history and has now won 23 decorations at five Games.

He swam the second leg for the USA, who won in a period of three minutes 9.92 seconds, with France second in 3:10.53 and Australia third in 3:11.37.

Phelps left retirement in 2014, having stopped after London 2012.

Commercial

He has won twice the same number of Olympic gold decorations as the competitor second on the rundown, previous Soviet athlete Larisa Latynina, reports the BBC.

"On the square I thought my heart was going to blast, I was so built up, so energized," he said. "It was so noisy, I don't think I've ever heard something to that effect.

"I let them know, it's OK to cry. It's great to see some feeling as one of the old fellows.

"These folks are marvelous. They will be there in four years. You got this. I'm out."
  • Blogger Comments
  • Facebook Comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Item Reviewed: Rio Olympics: Phelps wins record 19th Olympic swimming gold Rating: 5 Reviewed By: Unknown